How to Declutter a Small House

If you live in a small house, you know that every square inch counts. That’s why it’s so important to keep your space decluttered and organized. Here are some tips to help you declutter your small house:

  1. Get rid of anything you don’t use or need. This includes clothes, books, knick-knacks, etc. If you haven’t used it in six months, chances are you don’t need it.
  2. Donate or sell items that are still in good condition but that you no longer need or want. This is a great way to declutter without just throwing things away.
  3. Organize what’s left so that everything has a place and is easy to find when you need it. This will help reduce the clutter in your mind as well as your physical space.

By following these tips, you can declutter your small house and make the most of your limited space!

More tips to declutter a small house

  • Purge like crazy. Get rid of anything you don’t use or need on a regular basis. This will help keep your house from getting cluttered in the first place.
  • Separate rooms into zones. Dedicate areas of your home for specific purposes, such as a home office, play area, or reading nook. This will help you keep things tidy and organized.
  • Maximize your closet space. Use organizers and storage containers to make the most of your limited space.
  • Seek out creative ways to use space. If you’re short on square footage, get creative with how you use your space. For example, use the top of a dresser for storage or hang curtains to divide a room into separate areas.
  • Take items off the floor. When possible, store items off the ground to free up valuable floor space. Consider using shelves, hooks, and baskets to maximize vertical storage options.
  • Make use of vertical space. Utilize every inch of available space in your small house by going vertical! Hang pictures and artwork high up on walls, use tall bookcases and cabinets, and invest in some over-the-door organizers for extra storage options.

The 20/20 rule for decluttering

The 20/20 rule for decluttering is a great way to help you make decisions about what to keep and what to get rid of. If an item is not worth $20 or less, or if it can be replaced in less than 20 minutes, then it is probably not worth keeping. This rule can help you declutter your home quickly and efficiently.

The 80/20 rule for decluttering

The 80/20 rule for decluttering is that you should get rid of 80% of your stuff that you don’t use on a regular basis. This will declutter your home and make it more manageable. The remaining 20% of your stuff should be things that you use regularly or that have sentimental value.

The 80/20 rule minimalism

The 80/20 rule of minimalism is the idea that you only need 20% of your possessions to live a happy and fulfilling life. The other 80% of your stuff is just taking up space and is often left untouched. This means that you should carefully consider the contents of your home, your clothing, and your travel luggage. Only keep the things that you truly need and use regularly. Get rid of the rest to declutter your life and simplify your living space. You may be surprised at how little you actually need to be happy!

Start with your shoes

The best way to declutter your closet is to start with your shoes.

Sort them by type, and then decide which ones you want to keep and which ones you can get rid of. Next, move on to your boots and dresses. Again, sort them by type and then decide which ones you want to keep.

Finally, tackle your denim collection. It will be easier to make decisions about individual pairs of jeans if you can see them all at once.

Clean or declutter first?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question - it depends on your personal preference and the state of your home. If your home is very cluttered, it may be easier to declutter first and then tackle the cleaning. However, if you only have a few items out of place, you may prefer to just clean first and then declutter afterwards. Ultimately, the decision is up to you!

Plan before you declutter and organize

Planning is the first step before organizing. Without establishing the right priorities, you cannot create a structure that will produce the desired results.

Author: Jay Baxter


All the information on this website - - is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. Movingmod does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Movingmod), is strictly at your own risk. Movingmod will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

From our website, you can visit other websites by following hyperlinks to such external sites. While we strive to provide only quality links to useful and ethical websites, we have no control over the content and nature of these sites. These links to other websites do not imply a recommendation for all the content found on these sites. Site owners and content may change without notice and may occur before we have the opportunity to remove a link which may have gone 'bad'.

Please be also aware that when you leave our website, other sites may have different privacy policies and terms which are beyond our control. Please be sure to check the Privacy Policies of these sites as well as their "Terms of Service" before engaging in any business or uploading any information.

By using our website, you hereby consent to our disclaimer and agree to its terms.

Some of the links on this page may be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service through an affiliate link, your cost will be the same, but we will automatically receive a small commission. Your support is greatly appreciated and helps us keep going!
Copyright © 2021 Movingmod